Further education / 27. Juni 2022 - 28. Juni 2022, Day 1: 09.00 - 16.30 h; Day 2: 09.00 - 13.30 h
Online Seminar »Effective Visual Communication of Science«
You will learn to effectively communicate your own scientific ideas and results by applying best visual communication practices to your research communication. We will apply this knowledge to improve your scientific images, slides, and posters. You will design a graphical abstract and get actionable advice and feedback on your own pre-submitted materials. It is an immersive online workshop, structured, easy to follow, memorable, useful and fun.
You will get feedback on a selection of your figures, slides and posters submitted ahead of the webinar. In an exercise, you will draw a sketch of your research (a graphical abstract) and discuss it with other participants.
- Communicating with scientific vs non-scientific audiences
- Visual perception and what humans find intuitive
- Layout: a global structure that simplifies comprehension
- Eye-flow: effortlessly guide the audience through the design
- Colors: how to amplify, not ‘fancify’
- Feedback and discussion on your pre-submitted figures
- Graphical abstract drawing exercise & group work: draw a sketch of your research and get feedback from peer scientists and the facilitator
- Slides that amplify your messages when presenting
- Feedback and discussion on your pre-submitted slides
- Posters: strategy and process for creating posters that attract and explain
- Feedback and discussion on your posters
- Interactive online workshop: fundamentals, real examples, and practical advice
- Commenting on pre-submitted figures and slides: ahead of the webinar, you submit your science communication materials, and I prepare a selection. During the training you will get suggestions on how to improve your own materials from the presenter and peers.
- Q&A, exercises, and discussion: we try to solve the most pressing issues you have with your science communication.